Share on Tumblr

Whether you are a new pet owner or a seasoned veteran, there are some things you might have lying around your house that could harm your pet or potentially prove fatal. There are certain pet danger zones around the house that owners should be aware of, making sure their pet is safe and sound even without supervision. While these areas might seem safe enough to you, looking at them from your pets perspective will give you a new understanding.


Tylenol is not safe for petsMedicine Cabinet 

Tylenol and Advil might work great on your headaches, but they will do nothing to help your dog or cat. Anything containing ibuprofen, aspirin or acetaminophen can harm your pet and should be kept in locked containers, up and out of reach. Your pet’s runny nose can’t be remedied by your cold and flu medication; and their depression won’t lift if they take your anti depressants. When Spot seems to be gaining some weight, the best thing to do is give him some more exercise. Leave the diet pills to the Hollywood starlets.


Drinking out of the toilet is not safe for petsBathroom

The bathroom can be a hazardous area for your dog or cat mostly because of their favorite watering hole. The toilet is not a sanitary source of water for your pet and could harm them if ingested; so try to keep the lid down. Bathtubs and sinks that are full of water might also pose a threat to smaller unsupervised pets due to the increased chance of drowning. Cotton swabs, hairpins, razor blades, dental floss, and even towels can be ingested by your pet and cause serious internal damage. Thus, make sure you store them safely.


kitty in the dryer is not safe for petsLaundry Room

The washer and dryer might seem like a great place for your pet to explore so make sure you keep the doors on them closed at all times. Any detergents, fabric softeners and bleach should be kept up off the floor. Also watch our for loose buttons, string and yarn that have fallen on the floor, seeing as they could pose a choking hazard.

 

 


antifreeze is not safe for petsGarage

As a general rule, you should keep your pet out of this area when unattended. Pools of oil, gasoline and coolant may appear as something edible to your pet and could poison them severely. Solvents such as paint thinner or accelerant like lighter fuel are also a no-go. Make sure to check the floor for batteries, nails or mothballs to make sure your pet doesn’t try to munch on them either.

 

 


Pet Products

It’s hard to believe that products made for pets could harm them, but certain flea and tick medications, and also certain rubber balls, can. Make sure to do research on your dogs toys before purchasing them, ensuring they are safe for your canine friend’s enjoyment.


fire is not safe for petsFamily Room

Pet odor can be a problem around the house, and things like candles and liquid potpourri are viable options for remedying it. However, both can harm your pet. Dogs and cats are attracted to the flickering light and might burn themselves. In addition, the liquid potpourri might smell like a tasty treat. Items in the family room area like a fireplace should be blocked off by a gate so pets aren’t tempted to eat the ashes, fire salts or get singed by the flames. Electrical chords can also easily be chewed and cause electrocution so make sure they are out of your pets mouths. Finally, if you are a smoker, make sure to keep cigarettes out of your pet’s reach.


Home Office

When your cleaning your desk make sure your pet can’t get a hold of paperclips, scissors, or rubber bands.


Bedroom

When you come home after a long day and empty your change from you pockets, don’t leave it in a place your pet can’t get a hold of it. Jewelry might also seem like a shiny new toy and can be a choking hazard.


Kitchen

Your kitchen has by far the most chances for your pet to get into trouble. Twist ties, glass and plastic wrap can be consumed by your pet. Be careful of hot food containers on the counter seeing as pets might get curious and dump them over causing sever burns. And even though your pooch might beg for those turkey and chicken bones, say no. They can splinter and cause irreparable internal damage.


poison is not safe for petsUnder the Kitchen Sink

Most vermin repellents are dangerous for your pet. Things like rat and mouse bait, and fly bait are poisonous. Cleaners like disinfectants, drain cleaners oven cleaner spray and lime scale removers are dangerous. If you wouldn’t eat it, make sure your pet doesn’t.


pets are not garbage disposalsPantry

Dogs and cats cannot eat everything we do. It’s important to cook carefully when using things like avocado, onions, onion powder, garlic and salt. Other foods such as coffee, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, tea leaves and raw yeast dough are also bad for your pet’s digestive system. Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and death. Gum, candy and foods sweetened with xylitol are also not good for them. And as much as you may like to, letting your dog take a sip of your martini is a bad idea. Alcohol of any kind is not OK for your pet. Moldy or spoiled foods should also be thrown in the trash and stay there. Your pet shouldn't double as a garbage disposal. 

 

www.Dishmag.com / Issue 122 - September 2018
Turnpage Blk


Home | Links | Advertise With Us | Who We Are | Message From The Editor | Privacy & Policy

Connect with Dish Magazine:
Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Search www.DishMag.com:

Copyright (c) 2013, Smash Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Smash Media Group, Inc. is prohibited.
Use of Dishmag and Dish Magazine are subject to certain Terms and Conditions.
Please read the Dishmag and Dish Magazine Privacy Statement. We care about you!