Snow White and The Huntsman (June 1)
Action | Adventure | Drama
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron, Toby Jones
1. Kristen Stewart (Twilight saga) takes on another fantasy film role as the “Fairest One of All” in this twisted take on a classic fairytale. In this dark adaption Stewart plays Snow White, who escapes from her stepmother, the envious Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron), after the queen attempts to have her killed in order to gain power over the Kingdom of Tabor. After a treacherous journey through the Dark Forest, Snow White comes face to face with the huntsman (Chris Hemsworth (Thor), sent to kill her. Instead, he takes pity on her and trains her in the Art of War.
Soon, Snow White teams up with seven dwarves, the huntsman, knights from Tabor and her childhood love Prince William, in a quest to overthrow the Evil Queen. The epic action-adventure is brought to life by producers Joe Roth (Alice in Wonderland) and Sam Mercer (The Sixth Sense), and in his feature film-debut, acclaimed commercial director Rupert Sanders.
Prometheus (June 8)
Action | Horror | Sci-fi
Starring: Noomi Rapace, Logan Marshall-Green, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron
2. Prometheus follows an expedition into space that takes a turn for the worse in a fight to save the world. The crew is made up of an all-star cast including Swedish actress Noomi Rapace (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender (X-Men: First Class). Directed by Ridley Scott, this film was originally intended to be a prequel to the 1979 smash hit Alien. The film is named after the space ship that transports a select group of individuals to a far-away planet, where they intend to explore the origins of the human race. Charlize Theron, in her first summer blockbuster (Snow White is the other), plays Meredith Vickers, a Weyland Corporation employee sent to monitor the expedition. She describes her character as “pragmatic, and desperately wants to control the situation. She fights everything that everyone else is there to do, and it becomes evident that she has either an alternative agenda or that she is hiding something.” Certainly this will be a heart-pounding, and fearsome other-worldly adventure, but the film also digs deep into the human psyche by attempting to explain some of life’s most perplexing mysteries.
Rock of Ages (June 15)
Comedy | Drama | Musical
Starring: Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin
3. Based on the 2006 Chris D’Arenzio hit Broadway musical, Rock of Ages showcases classic rock tunes amidst the struggles of fame, love and big hair. Set in Los Angeles in 1987, the movie-musical tells the story of two young romantic hopefuls chasing their Hollywood dreams. Mexican singer/actor/heartthrob Diego Boneta is Drew Boley, love interest of Sherrie Christian, played by Julianne Hough of Dancing with the Stars fame. Tom Cruise stars as Stacee Jaxx, mega Rock God of the decade and Drew Boley’s idol.
The film features the unforgettable Metal sound of 80’s rock ‘n’ roll legends Def Leppard, Foreigner, Journey, Poison, Twisted Sister, White Snake and more. Director Adam Shankman (Hairspray) gushed about Cruise’s surprising commitment to the big part. But can Cruise even sing, one must wonder. According to Shankman, “Cruise has been studying with -- seriously -- Axl Rose's voice teacher like five hours a day," Shankman has said. "The prognosis is more than excellent. I think we’re going to see him, every drop, the rock ‘n’ roll god! I’m very excited. He’s so committed to doing it. He’s pouring himself in this part in a way I’ve never had an actor do... it’s pretty intense.”
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (June 22)
Fantasy | Horror | Thriller
Starring: Benjamin Walker, Rufus Sewell, Dominic Cooper, Mary Elizabeth Winstead
4. From director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) and Seth Grahame Smith, author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, comes another fantastic tale, this time a battle between power hungry blood-suckers and one man with the courage to stop them. In the screen adaption of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, Benjamin Walker (Flags of our Fathers) takes on the role of the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln, who discovers that vampires are planning on taking over the earth, and makes it his mission to eliminate them.
After finding out his mother was killed by them, Lincoln sets out to find their leader Adam, played by Rufus Sewell, and his army of blood-suckers. Supermodel Erin Wasson makes her big screen debut as vamp Vadoma. Dominic Cooper is Lincoln’s vampire ally, Henry Sturgess and Mary Elizabeth Wintead (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) is first lady Mary Todd Lincoln. This highly-anticipated film will combine Lincoln’s secret vampire hunts with a factual, historical portrayal of the American Civil War. The film will also be released in 3D.
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (June 22)
Comedy | Drama | Romance
Starring: Steve Carell, Keira Knightley, Melinda Dillon, Melanie Lynskey
5. You still have time to see Seeking a Friend for the End of the World before the Mayan calendar cycle ends this December 21, controversially marking the end of the world as we know it. Given just three weeks left before imminent doom, Steve Carell (The Office) plays Dodge. whose wife leaves him in a panic. He embarks on a journey across the country to find his childhood sweetheart before a 70-mile-wide asteroid crashes into our world, destroying it.
Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Caribbean) plays his longtime neighbor, Penny, joins him on his quest to find his wife, and also hopes to see her own family before time runs out. Keira Knightley explains, “Steve's just lovely. He's such a lovely man. I was quite frightened, because I haven't done comedy before really. I was kind of going, 'It's terrifying, I don't know how to do it, I don't even want to do it!' He was such a sweetheart." Also look forward to seeing comedian Patton Oswalt (Young Adult), Adam Brody (The OC), and Gillian Jacobs (Community ) in this (hopefully) comedy. Directed by Lorene Scafaria (Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist).
Magic Mike (June 29)
Starring: Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Olivia Munn, Matthew McConaughey
6. Based on the real life experiences of Channing Tatum (G.I. Joe) who, at age 19. worked as a stripper named Magic Mike in Tampa, FL. The film also offers yet another excuse for Matthew McConaughey (How To Lose A Guy in Ten Days) to remain shirtless. Magic Mike tells the story of a talented ex-male stripper struggling to balance his lucrative after-hours business, strip Club Xquisite, with his personal relationships. Mike trains up and coming performer The Kid, played by Alex Pettyfer (I Am Number Four) while trying to woo his love interest Paige, played by Cody Horn (Rescue Me). Not really surprisingly, she has difficulty fully accepting Mike’s career choices. Also joining the steamy cast of strippers are Matt Bomer (White Collar), Joe Manganiello (True Blood) and Adam Rodriguez (CSI: Miami).
Bomer, who recently broke many a woman’s heart when he announced he was gay, spoke of the problem he faced with the new wardrobe. “I had never worn a thong before, so the first time I tried I put it on wrong and... I had to call a wardrobe person in, ‘Something is wrong with my thong, you guys. I think we are gonna have to figure this out,’ and they’re like, ‘Yea, your legs are in the wrong holes.’”